Why Get a Good PortableWiFi/Sim Card Modem in Malaysia?
We live in an era where staying connected is an essential norm. This is especially true if you have a mobile working lifestyle. WiFi is available in some cafes or public places, but it does not always come with a secure network. Another option is to use a mobile hotspot from your phone, but this method will drain your phone’s battery and potentially be more expensive.
This is where a pocket wifi steps in to save the day. Standalone portable wifi comes with a dedicated battery and internet connection for your personal use anywhere you go. More importantly, this option is also much faster and more secure than relying on public wifi.
Related Articles That You Might Find Helpful:
- Wifi Router Malaysia 2021 [Best Prices + Portable]
- USB Wifi Adapter Malaysia 2021: For PC + Laptop
- Best Android TV boxes in Malaysia 
What is Pocket Wifi?
Pocket Wifi comes with different names and can be called:
- Mobile hotspot
- Portable WiFi
- WiFi dongle
- Mobile WiFi
- WiFi egg
Pocket WiFi devices are built to be small and – as the name suggests – fit in your pocket. It is a small and light device that makes it simple for you to stay connected to the internet anywhere without having to lug around a bulky gadget.
Pocket wifi devices may be small, but they offer great connectivity power. Some devices have a radius of 30 to 50 feet and can be connected up to 10 devices or more at one time. This means that your entire family can enjoy wifi while traveling.
The Pocket WiFi can also only be accessed with a password so that you can ensure only your group is allowed access to a secure and fast internet connection.
How does Pocket WiFi work?
Pocket Wifi works just like any internet-connected device but in a smaller and more portable package. The Pocket WiFi works using a SIM card that is connected to a mobile or cellular network just like how smartphones do.
Once the device is connected to the internet via the SIM card, it will then have internet connectivity and emit a WiFi signal just like how your home WiFi does to allow devices to be connected to.
Differences between a Sim Card Routers/Modems and Mobile Data
Both of them work pretty similar but they’re not the same. So, what’s the difference between them?
- Pocket WiFi is a portable or mini router that is compact and travel-friendly.
- Pocket WiFi-only requires a SIM card to begin offering internet connection to multiple mobile devices via WiFi.
- Pocket WiFi offers a wide coverage both locally and internationally that supports major telcos in Malaysia such as Digi, Maxis, Celcom, and U Mobile.
- Pocket WiFis rely on rechargeable batteries that can last up to 10 hours on a single charge.
- Pocket WiFi devices are also handy for those who want to connect to multiple devices. This means that you can share your unlimited internet wirelessly with friends or family at once.
- Mobile data is where you connect to the internet via your own smartphone’s telco plan that’s paid every month.
- The mobile plan includes services such as calls, messages, etc. So, you’ll need to pick the best mobile plan based on your budget and usage. If you’re on a tight budget, you may need to settle with a lower internet quota.
- Mobile plans typically come with internet add-ons for the fraction of a price, but they do some with a designated time limit.
- Using mobile data does not require setting up or extra configuration. All you need to do is tap on the mobile hotspot icon on your smartphone to begin emitting wifi signals for other devices to connect to.
- Mobile data may be inconsistent in certain areas. This will depend on your telco’s coverage.
- Sharing mobile data with other devices can quickly drain your smartphone’s battery.
Best Pocket WiFi in Malaysia 2021: Honest Review
Here are some of the top portable wifi that you can get your hands on in Malaysia.
MiFi A8 Portable Data Hotspot
- Battery: 3600 mAh
- Malaysia TELCO BAND :
- Digi / Tonewow = Band 1, 3, 7, 8
- Celcom = Band 1,3, 7
- Yoodo/Tunetalk/Onexox/Redone/Helotelco = Band 3, 7
- Maxis/Hotlink = Band 1, 3, 7
- Umobile = Band 1, 3, 7
- Webe/Unifi/Unifi air = Band 5, 28, 38, 40
- YES 4G = Band 20, 38, 40
- Package Content:
- 1X Portable Mifi modem
- 1x USB cable
- 1x Instruction Menu
The Mifi A8 portable WiFi router is extremely portable, not only is it very small but it’s very lightweight at only 140g. It has a minimalistic, white design that’s clean and professional.
The MiFi A8 doesn’t just look good either, it is very simple to operate. Users need only insert the SIM card into the mini-SIM slot at the back of the device and switch the device on. Then connect to the WiFi by keying in the WPA/security key that’s labeled on the device to begin surfing the net.
The 4G MiFi portable router offers fast connections of up to 150 Mbps through its Gigabit Ethernet port. It can also support up to 10 different devices simultaneously, making this a great choice for those with a large family or group of friends. The device runs on a large 3,600 mAh battery capacity to provide more than 10 hours of seamless internet connectivity.
The device offers 15 meters of wireless coverage and supports both 4G and 4G LTE networks. Reviews online prove that the device is able to deliver a seamless and stable internet connection in major areas in Malaysia.
The device is designed to work with local unlimited data plans from companies like Digi, Maxis, Unifi, and U Mobile. One drawback is that it lacks international telco support, meaning you won’t be able to use this outside of Malaysia. Nonetheless, this is still a very good investment for its price and if you’re only planning to use it locally.
- Supports most major telcos in Malaysia.
- Great battery life.
- Can connect up to 10 simultaneous users.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Does not support international telco.
- 4G Category: LTE CAT.4
- 4G/3G standards: FDD LTE,TDD-LTE,WCDMA
- 4G Mobile Bands: 4G LTE:B1/B3/B7/B20/B40, 3G WCDMA:B1/B8, 2G:GSM900/DCS1800
- Max 4G speed: DL:150Mbps, UL:50Mbps
- Wi-Fi standards: 802.11b/g/n
- Wi-Fi frequency: 2.4GHz
- Wi-Fi speed: 2.4GHz:150Mbps
- Wi-Fi Transmit Power: 2.4GHz:up to 20dBm
- USB Port1 × Micro USB port
- SIM Slot1 × Micro SD slot
- Optical Mode1 × Micro SIM slot
- 1 × Reset hole
- Button: Power on/off
- Antenna: 2 Internal 4G/3G Antennas, 2 Internal Wi-Fi Antennas
Indicator: 1.44 inches colorful screen, 4G/3G Signal bar and Internet, Battery, Operator’s profile name, SMS. Wi-Fi status and number of connected, Connected time, Used traffic data
- Battery Type: Li (rechargeable) Capacity: 3.8V, 2100 mAh,7.98Wh Working time: up to 10hours （depending on the network） Standby time: up to 100hours （depending on the network）
- WAN Type: 4G/3G
- 4G/3G Features: Auto-APN, Auto dial-up, Roaming, SMS(Send/Receive/Delete), Phonebook, USSD, Data limited, Power-save, PIN Management
- Wi-Fi functions: Broadcast and Hide Wi-Fi name, Guest network, Internet Wi-Fi (Extend your Wi-Fi)
In a competitive world of mid-range portable WiFi devices, Tenda 4G185 stands out from the rest for delivering the best bang for your buck. Weighing at only 85g (almost half the weight of the model reviewed above), this portable WiFi is travel-friendly and packs most of the essentials you need to keep you connected all day.
On top of that, the Tenda 4G185 portable wifi supports all telcos in Malaysia and even global 4G networks, a feature that is not available in its predecessor (4G180). It is equipped with the latest 4G LTE mobile internet to deliver up to 150 Mbps download speed for lag-free HD movies and video chats. The device also boasts a powerful 2,100 mAh battery for a battery runtime of up to 10 hours between charges. The battery is removable and rechargeable, so you can buy spare batteries and use them while the other is charging.
Unlike public WiFi, the 4F185 Tenda portable wifi offers users great peace of mind with their own personal password-protected WiFi so you won’t have to worry about prying eyes looking into your confidential business or personal data.
The device also boasts a MicroSD slot that lets you store up to 32GB of photos and videos. The 4G185 also comes with an intuitive screen display that gives you information such as data budget, 3G/4G signal strength, download/upload speed, battery status, signal strength, and a number of connected users.
Just like its predecessor, the 4G185 has app support where users can use it to configure network and WiFi settings. Despite being simple and straightforward, many found the bright orange interface to be an eyesore. We hope to see an improvement on this considering the fact that it shouldn’t be too difficult to change.
Nonetheless, this is not a major dealbreaker. The portable wifi offers great connectivity, convenience and it even comes with a 3-year local manufacturer warranty period to protect you from manufacturing defects.
- Extremely lightweight
- Compatible with all local telcos and supports global 4G networks.
- Durable battery life.
- Additional microSD slot for 32GB of storage.
- User-friendly screen display.
- App interface could be better.
Netgear Nighthawk M2 Mobile Hotspot 4G LTE Router MR2100
- Superfast speeds using the next generation of mobile technology
- LTE CAT 20, up to 5-band CA and 4×4 MIMO
- Up to 5-band Carrier Aggregation
- LTE/4GX 700/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz
- 3G 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
- Display: 2.4″ Touch LCD panel
- Dimensions: 105.5 (L) x 105.5 (W) x 20.35 (H) mm
- Weight: 240g (with battery)
- Battery: 5040mAh for all-day use
Netgear Nighthawk M2 Mobile Router is a premium portable wifi device that’s been featured on Forbes and is suitable for those looking for a portable wifi device that can rival the capabilities of even the best-fixed Wifi.
However, this device comes with an expensive four-figure price point that could be a constraint and sometimes deemed unnecessary for many. Nonetheless, you do get what you pay for and this offers some desirable plus points for those seeking the fastest internet connection on the go.
Not only does the Netgear Nighthawk MR2100 come in a size small enough to fit in your laptop bag, but it promises an ultra-speed 4G LTE at up to a whopping 2GB per second thanks to the Gigabit Class LTE Mobile Router.
Although this value may seem theoretical and would depend on areas, the speed is certainly much better than the rest and is great for streaming HD content and playing mobile games.
Furthermore, the portable wifi device also has dual-band connectivity (standard 2.4GHz and the faster 5GHz) to connect to multiple devices without a problem. The device also has a Fast Ethernet feature but it has received mixed reviews as many noted a slower transfer speed and that feature is only able to support the 2.4 GHz network.
Another important highlight for this portable wifi device has got to be its battery life. With a 5,040 mAh battery life, you can expect non-stop connection all day and night with up to 16 hours of operation.
When you plug it in, you can also use it continuously without a battery 24/7. Interestingly, this portable wifi has a Jumpboost feature that can convert it into a power bank to charge other devices.
The portable wifi router also has an LCD touchscreen that gives you information on the signal strength, network connections, data usage, and setting adjustment. You can also enter the Netgear Mobile app that offers a much more detailed set of your Wifi that includes a Media Streaming feature and parental control.
Overall, the Netgear Nighthawk M2 Mobile Router MR2100 might be slightly larger in size compared to most compact portable WiFi, but it does offer exclusive features that you won’t be able to get from other devices. Whether you’re ana cute gamer, mobile worker, or just someone who needs superfast internet, the Netgear Nighthawk M2 remains a good buy.
- Up to 2GB per second
- Large battery with Jumpboost feature
- Mobile app with Media Streaming and Parental Control settings
- Has a touchscreen LCD screen that displays useful info
- Long-lasting battery life
- Dual-band connectivity
- Large size compared to the rest.
- Surprisingly lackluster fast ethernet
Prolink PRT7011L Hotspot
- WiFi Frequency : 2400MHz~2483.5MHz, RF Output Power : Max 20 dBm, IEEE802.11 b/g/n, WPS supported
- Receiver Band
LTE TDD: 2300MHz (Band 40)/ 2600MHz (Band 38), LTE FDD: 900MHz (Band 8)/ 2600MHz (Band 7)/ 850MHz (Band 5)/ 1800MHz (Band 3)/ 2100MHz (Band 1), UMTS: 900MHz (Band 8)/ 850MHz (Band 5)/ 1800MHz (Band 3)/ 2100MHz (Band 1), GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE:: 850/ 900/ 1800MHz
- Data Rate LTE FDD (Category 4):
– DL 150Mb/s
– UL 50Mb/s3G HSPA+ :
– DL 42Mb/s
– UL 5.76Mb/s (DC supported)
- Antenna: Internal
- Interface: On/Off button, WPS button, Reset button, micro-SD card slot, SIM card slot, micro-USB port
- LED: Battery indicator, WiFi indicator, Network indicator, SMS indicator
- Battery: Capacity: 2000mAh Li-Ion Battery
- Working time: up to 10 hours
- Charging Mode: USB cable / power adapter (optional)
- Dimension: 97 x 61 x 15.5mm (L x W x H) (product only), 85 x 53 x 128 (L x W x H) (With box)
- Weight: 93g (with battery), 186g (With box)
- OS Supported: Windows 10 or later, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.10 or later, Linux® kernel 2.6+
If you love to travel around the world with your family, then the ProLink MiFi Router PRT7011L will be your best buddy to help you stay connected to the internet. This budget-friendly portable wifi can connect up to 11 mobile devices simultaneously and is compatible with up to 185 different countries worldwide.
At first glance, the Prolink PRT7011L may look like a resurrected Motorola pager, but this portable WiFi device is able to support a data speed of up to 150 Mbps for seamless and lag-free internet access. Using it is also straightforward as it was built with ease of use in mind. Users will only need to install the SIM card into the slot and you can instantly connect your other devices such as laptops, smartphones, or tablets with the bundled USB cable to begin surfing online.
With a 2,000mAh battery capacity, it has the battery life to last up to 10 hours of continuous use before you need to search for a plug. However, our research reveals that there are mixed reviews on the device’s battery as some complained about the battery life draining faster than it should while others found it to be decent. Nonetheless, users can also opt to buy the package with an extra battery and power bank from Prolink at a discounted price just in case.
In terms of its construction, the ProLink PRT7011L is compact and lightweight at just 103g to make it portable. Given its affordable price point, we aren’t surprised to see that it does not come with an LCD screen but there’s still a standard OLED indicator light for the power button, WiFi connection, and signal strength.
- Option to buy with extra battery and power bank
- 10 hours battery life
- Compatible for 185 countries worldwide
- PROLink mWIFI App
- Up to 11 users
- Lightweight only 93g
- Lets you stay connected across the world
- No LCD screen
1 micro USB port for power supply
1 Micro SIM card slot
1 Micro SD card slot
- Button: Power On/Off，Menu
- Power Supply: 3000mAh Rechargeable Battery
- Network Type
TDD-LTE: B38/B40/B41 (2600/2300/2500MHz)
- Data Rates: DL: 600Mbps, UL: 50Mbps
- Dimensions ( W x D x H ): 112.5*66.5*16mm
- Antenna: Internal Antenna
- Micro SD Card Reader: Up to 32GB
- Screen Display: 1.44 inch TFT
- Wireless Standards: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 300Mbps at 2.4GHz or 867Mbps at 5GHz
- Frequency: 2.4GHz&5GHz
- Transmit Power: 2.4G <20dbm, 5G <23dbm
- Wireless Security: Support WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, Wireless MAC Filtering
- DHCP: DHCP server, DHCP Client List
TP-Link is a world-renowned WiFi router company and our list today simply won’t be complete without their latest model – the TP-Link M7650. This portable wifi boasts a simple but striking two-tone design and is very lightweight at only 90g for easy storage in your pocket or backpack. It also has a 3,000mAh battery life that can sustain up to 15 hours of usage.
Supporting LTE 4G+ network and a dual-band connection with 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequency, this portable wifi offers up to 600Mbps download speed and 50Mbps upload speed. It is also compatible with all major telco providers in Malaysia like Maxis, Celcom, Digi, and more.
A major plus point for this portable wifi is that it can connect up to 32 mobile devices at the same time. It also has an OLED screen located in the middle of the device to display essential statuses such as battery life, signal strength, and data usage.
Additionally, the portable wifi also comes with a microSD card slot to give you extra storage of up to 32GB to keep photos, videos, and important documents. The device doesn’t just look pretty but it is also very straightforward to use. Just insert the SIM card, turn on the power button and connect to your mobile device.
It also has app integration with the tpMiFi app that gives you more access to your wireless network and configure the WiFi name or to send/receive SMSes.
- Up to 600Mbps
- Connect up to 32 devices
- Dual-band connection
- 3000mAh battery for 15 hours of battery life
- Micro SD slot
Conclusion: Start Enjoying WiFi Wherever You Go!
There are plenty of portable wifi brands out there and it can get complicated to pick which is the best one for you. We hope today’s article has provided you with enough information to kick start your journey towards purchasing the right portable wifi to stay connected wherever you go.
Do remember to spend some time going through product reviews to see what others are saying about it and to check if the product comes recommended by those who have already purchased it.